Tuesday, March 13, 2012

ULTA, or how I found the promised land.

So, I live in a city that seems to think we need a Sephora, but only as of 5 years ago, and the closest ULTA is almost 2 hours away. I go on the online and hear all about the wonder that is ULTA, but it wasn't until I went to visit my good friend Erica in Syracuse that I got to meet ULTA.

Do not stop at GO, do not collect 200 dollars, no bathroom or food stops, I was going to ULTA.

I walked in, and the sky didn't open and there no angels singing, but I like what they've done with the place. There was more makeup than one can shake a stick at (if one has a stick to be shaking; I do not). See, no stick:



Sephora is my second home, mostly for the selection and because it's slightly less threatening than places such as the MAC makeup counter, which make me feel low class and nervous. ULTA is more department store than makeup counter, and I can see someone who knows the basics being able to go into ULTA and discover some new products without running out like they just walked in on a surprise gang bang. They've ditched the head-to-toe black that makeup counters (and by extension, Sephora) have traditionally favored, split the store into higher-end products and more typical drugstore lines, so it has more of a something-for-everyone feel. Sephora has a more vested interest in the makeovers (50 dollars, but it comes with a 50 dollar gift card, so it's a break even with some tips and product for you, and a break even guarantee for them to move some product out and probably get you back in the store in the future). ULTA seemed to have more promotions and discounts, too. I picked up a promo makeup bag for spending over 75 dollars, and it's mediocre; if I had to go with one of the store's brands to recommend, I would say Sephora's is more what I look for in my makeup. But by removing the harsh black lines, overzealous makeup pushers, pretty but non-functional displays, and stage lighting, I think ULTA may have a hand in pushing people from the Duane Reade Maybelline display and into Sephora when it comes to their makeup.

Bringing decent makeup to the people, man. It's a beautiful thing.




4 comments:

  1. I'm not hot about Sephora but I think the vibe of Ulta sounds about my speed. And congrats on the first post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ulta was my gateway drug, I don't think I'll ever stop going to Sephora and Nordstroms... Can't wait for more ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to prefer Sephora to Ulta because they have a far superior selection of fragrances and I think their house brand is better quality (I <3 the eyeliners, specifically).

    Sadly, the nearest Sephora is about two hours away, so I shop at Ulta fairly often. I will say that their sales are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer Sephora, not only because it's all I have (I don't really buy many fragrances,anymore, though; I have enough to last me half my lifetime at this point. I like their house brand's pressed powders and their eyeshadows are good for foiling, and I like their lip products. I don't like their eyeliner too much. The cream eyeliner I do because it's bold, but if I don't put eyeshadow over it, it wears off above my crease within a few hours, and the other ones either don't go on well or are so bold they make a giant mess everywhere. They have some decent mascaras, though.

    I get annoyed with some of the salespeople because of how pushy they are, and the difference in how I get treated if I go in with all my makeup done vs no makeup. It isn't bad treatment, but there is a tendency for butthurt on my side of the counter that they are talking to me like I don't know anything about eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete