Sunday, April 15, 2012

In which I learn that sometimes, you don't get what you pay for.

Honest to Papa Diós, I have been meaning to update more often, and with more substantial (or, dare I say...MEATY) posts, but I am at a very strange place in my life, so you will have to forgive me.

Last week, I was browsing the brush collections at Sephora because...well, mostly because I wanted new brushes.  The set I had does what I need it to do well enough, but there were some more brushes I could use, and...in short, I am the queen of justification.  So my good friend Erica pointed me to the Real Techniques brushes (available at Ulta) and said I would love them.  When I saw the price tag ($17.99 for the starter kit!!), I was like.  Hell, I can't even buy 2 packs of cigarettes with that (because, clearly, life is measured in packs of cigarettes).  It can't hurt to try them because of minimal financial investment when compared with other brush sets and worst case scenario, they become back up brushes.  So I got my order and...

look!! Brushes:



So then I did this:



and close up:

Skimp on the lid, Gravity on the crease, and Zephyr on the browbone (all from Urban Decay BoS IV)

And holy shit.  I feel like Sephora has been sort of ripping me off all these years after using the Real Techniques brushes.  They are soft but firmer than Sephora's, which is what I generally have used in the past, and I felt like I had more control when it came to blending, which is one of my stumbling blocks, however minor it may be. The construction of the brushes also seems pretty sturdy, like the brush won't fall apart in a week or two (last drugstore blush brush, I am looking at you) Also, you really cannot beat the quality for the price, .  $17.99!! Can't get over it.

I also tried out this:

bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie in Party Starter (a coral shade)
which I liked enough.  It is a thicker gloss, infused with botanicals and antioxidants and tingled when I put it on.  It gives enough color, though I am not big into lip products because of having to reapply and I lose everything that isn't a vital appendage.  This product gets compared to the polishes by Buxom (of which bareMinerals is the parent company) a lot due the shared stock and price tag, and if given the option of only buying one of these lines ever again, I would chose Buxom's lip polish.  Overall, I don't find this product to be earth-shattering, but I don't feel that I wasted my money, either.

And in keeping with the theme; NOTD:

Essie Lilacism and China Glaze Prism

The glitter is from China Glaze's new Prismatic Chroma glitters line.  I have seen a big deal being made all over the internet about these, and while I like it, it, like the lip gloss, is not earth shattering.  It is a sparkly multi glitter.  Not a waste, but not something I would rush out and stand in line to buy. I will be angry when I try to remove all that glitter, all I AM NEVERRRR USING GLITTER AGAIN WOOOOOOEEEEEE.  Until a day or so later, because I am sparkly and simply cannot help it.






1 comment:

  1. I totally feel the same way about glitter polishes. It's a vicious cycle.

    As far as brushes go, I've got a mishmash that I've collected over the years as I've needed different ones and hands down, my ultimate favorite brush is a $1 E.L.F. basic eyeshadow brush. MAC, Sephora, etc., I'm cool with but that damned cheapo eye brush us like, my best friend.

    ReplyDelete