Monday, February 25, 2013

spring is...springing?

Today, I received the following in the mail from Sugarpill Cosmetics:

Sugarpill loose shadow in Weekender (purple) and Absinthe (green)

Which reminds me a lot of the following, which my mother's garden was covered with when I was a child:

Irises! Image under license from Shutterstock Images LLC

So I did this:




Like this:

 

1. NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk from lashline to browbone, then Sugarpill Tako over lid.

2. At the outer corner, I applied Sugarpill Absinthe wet, blending in toward the center of my lid, so that it faded into the white about 3/4 of the way across my lid.  Then, I went from the inner corner toward the center with Tako again, dry, for a smooth transition from white to green (in the final product, the white is not noticeable, but I like a smooth transition into bright colors, I think it looks more professional and less clownish)

3. I cut the crease with Sugarpill Weekender with a wet brush, then went over it with a dry brush, working the shadow up and out.  I also find it easier to blend shadow dry as opposed to wet.

4. Using an eyeliner brush, I lined my lower lash line with Weekender from the outer corner inward, and with Absinthe from the inner corner outward, so that they met somewhere in the middle.

5.  Using Almay Liquid Eyeliner, I lined close to the lashline.

6.  Using the same eyeliner, I went outward from the line I already had to make a dramatic cat eye, following the edge of the eye shadow I had already applied.  Then, I worked it down along the lower lash line, being careful to keep a steady hand for a neat line connecting the liner on the bottom to the liner on the top that already had a cat eye effect.  Finally, I just used Maybelline Mega Plush Volum Express in Very Black on the top and bottom lashes to finish the look.

A few things:

  •  I do a very basic line along the upper lash line with the liner at first because if I try to go from the inner corner of my eye all the way into a dramatic cat eye, I find that my hand will not always remain steady and then I will end up with a mess, especially when using liquid eyeliner, which is not my favorite formulation to work with, but definitely adds to the drama of a look like this.  I have also used a pencil eyeliner lightly at first, then gone over it with liquid liner.  The pencil liner acts like a guide in that case.
  • I do not go past the outer edge of my eyebrow with shadow.  I started "drawing in the lines", so to speak, by using Scotch tape, which I know is looked down upon by some, but I think for someone who is new to a major eyeshadow look, or cutting a crease (which seems terrifying, but is really easy once you learn to steady your hand), it is a good way to jump off.
The color of the shadow in these pictures is pretty true to life, at least on my face.  I did have to tweak the clarity and contrast of the pictures because the place where I have the best light is almost too much light, and makes most colors look very washed out.  I am a total klutz, so working with loose shadow always makes me nervous but I like the formula that Sugarpill uses and I managed to not knock anything over so...I call it a win.

Hopefully if I do enough looks that are inspired by spring things, it will eventually get here.  My ass cannot take any more of the dreariness that is February in New York.





Stay beautiful, party people.



No comments:

Post a Comment